Saturday, April 9, 2011

God Blessed the Broken Road

This week as I was driving to work, I happened to hear mine and Chad's song, "Blessed the Broken Road" by Rascal Flatts.  It was such a sweet reminder of how precious our bond is to me.  I think when Rascal Flatts wrote this song, they were writing it about Chad and I.  We don't have your typical love story.  We didn't meet one day and start dating the next and voila.  Here is our version.

All through high school AND college, so many people would tell me that I would marry my best friend.  I didn't understand what they meant until after college. 

Chad and I were introduced by my cousin, Alicia in college.  We were both sophomores at Winthrop, still trying to figure out the "real world".  We would pass each other on campus and say "hello" after we met.  Then, during the summer of 2002, two friends and I moved into an apartment.  Not long after we moved in, we had three guys move in above us.  One of the guys was Chad.  We hung out several times with the guys and I began to have "advice talks" with Chad about the whole dating scene.  He was honest and open, which meant he always told me like it was.  My friends and I moved into a house near Winthrop the next year so I lost touch with my "advisor". In 2004, I moved into the Chi Omega house and began a close bond with my roommates.  One of my roommates was Tracy, who happened to go to high school with Chad.  That summer we spent a lot of time hanging out with Chad and his guy friends.  Again, Chad was my "advisor" as I went through many stupid relationships.  Our last semester at Winthrop, I started noticing that my feelings for Chad had changed.  He was no longer, just a friend, in my opinion.  We graduated from WU in 2004 and a few weeks after graduation, Chad mentioned the two of us hanging out by ourselves sometime.  That's all it took.  We began to be inseparable.  He became my best friend.

It took all those crazy relationships for me to realize my perfect guy was right in front of me.  I love him so much and cannot wait to begin this new journey with him soon!

"Blessed the Broken Road"
by Rascal Flatts
I set out on a narrow way many years ago
Hoping I would find true love along the broken road
But I got lost a time or two
Wiped my brow and kept pushing through
I couldn't see how every sign pointed straight to you

Every long lost dream led me to where you are
Others who broke my heart they were like Northern stars
Pointing me on my way into your loving arms
This much I know is true
That God blessed the broken road
That led me straight to you

I think about the years I spent just passing through
I'd like to have the time I lost and give it back to you
But you just smile and take my hand
You've been there you understand
It's all part of a grander plan that is coming true

Every long lost dream led me to where you are
Others who broke my heart they were like Northern stars
Pointing me on my way into your loving arms
This much I know is true
That God blessed the broken road
That led me straight to you

Now I'm just rolling home
Into my lover's arms
This much I know is true
That God blessed the broken road
That led me straight to you

That God blessed the broken road
That led me straight to you.


No comments:

Post a Comment