Thursday, March 24, 2011

My Motherly Inspiration

Me and Aunt Joan
Of course, my first motherly inspiration would have to be my own Mom.  I hope that I can be there for Reagan like my Mom has been there for me over the past 29 years.  My Mom's sister, Joan Dove has always been like a "second Mom" or grandma to me.  My Aunt Joan is 14 years older than my Mom so she has been like a "mom" to my Mom for a long time.  Therefore, the three of us are very close.  So, I would have to say that Aunt Joan is also a motherly inspiration for me.  Let me tell you why...

As I was growing up, Aunt Joan offered advice to my Mom throughout different phases I was going through.  When I was about to graduate high school, she told my Mom to remember this was a happy, proud time and not to cry.  She encouraged her to shut my bedroom door while I was away at college, which helped my Mom because she felt like I was just in my room working on something.  My Mom did not cry at my graduation, the day I moved into Winthrop, or on my wedding day (at least not where I could see her).  She took her sister's advice and realized how proud and happy she was for me. 

While I was at Winthrop, Aunt Joan wrote me twice a month.  She would write about what she and Uncle Ken were doing back home and always told me how much she loved me and how proud she was of me.  I don't think she realizes how much I anticipated her letters or how much they meant to me. 

Aunt Joan is one of the strongest women I know.  I always knew that about her from being around her and through hearing the advice she would give my Mom.  But I didn't truly realize how strong she was until last year.  Her one and only child, Alan was diagnosed with colon and liver cancer in August 2009.  He fought a heroic battle for 9 months.

I spent my last day with my sweet cousin on May 16.  On that day, Aunt Joan and I spent an afternoon with Alan in his room trying to help him feel comfortable.  The three of us didn't talk a whole lot, but as we sat with Alan, he would have lucid moments where he would ask me about school and even cut a few jokes, which he was known for. :) I tried to hold back the tears because I didn't want him to see me upset, but it was hard to see him in such pain.  As I cried, Aunt Joan comforted me.  Her own son was fighting his last days with cancer, and she was telling me it was going to be okay. 

Alan died 10 days later.  At the funeral, it was evident what an inspiration Alan was to so many.  A lot of friends of the family came up to my Aunt and Uncle with their condolences, with their own tears in their eyes.  Again, my Aunt Joan and Uncle Ken comforted them and told them he was no longer in pain.  I'm not saying the past 10 months haven't been hard on them, but both of them have dealt with the loss of their son so well. 

I have many reasons why Aunt Joan is my motherly inspiration, but the biggest reason is because of her faith and strength through tough times.  I love her very much and I hope I can be like her with my own child as she grows up.

2 comments:

  1. I cried the day you went to WU but your mother didnt you are right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll soon learn that when our children are happy, we're happy, too. And how wonderful it is to see the world through our children's eyes! So when I felt sad from missing you so much, I just tried to remember how happy you were and all the wonderful people you were getting to know and then I could feel happy, too. Every stage of your life has truly been a joy for us! Especially this one!!! All our love for always, Mamma & Daddy

    ReplyDelete