Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Sugar Water?

So, Chad and I went to our first baby class last night. It was Breastfeeding 101, which was very informative. We learned a lot, but I couldn't help but feel like an immature 8th grader as I giggled during the 3rd how-to video. The first two videos were fine, but by the third one, it was becoming a bit much! Then of course, Chad cracked me up in the middle of class and I had to laugh out loud. The instructor was discussing the importance of skin-to-skin contact at birth, even for the Dad. Chad starts talking about how Reagan might get confused and start looking for milk from him. LOL

Prior to the class, Chad and I had already talked about how important we thought it was for Reagan to be breastfeed for at least the first few months. While the class was very informative, it brought up many worries for me. The instructor mentioned learning the baby's cues for hunger and said it might be necessary to keep her in the room to learn these cues. Then I had already heard pacifiers can mess with breastfeeding. I have also heard that the nursery workers in the hospital sometimes give babies sugar water, which also messes up breastfeeding. So, after class Chad and I talked about how we might need to keep her in the room to make sure the whole breastfeeding process works. But then so many people tell us that we are going to need that time to rest while she is in the nursery. Have any of you experienced these anxieties worries? Did the hospital listen to what you wanted for your baby? Maybe I'm just overreacting....

No comments:

Post a Comment